Lisa West, M.D.
Lisa Anne West, MD (Collea) is a board-certified ophthalmologist with fellowship training in cornea, cataract and LASIK surgery. She received her Bachelor of Science in Biology from Georgetown University where she was elected to the Sigma Xi Research Honor Society. She obtained her medical degree from Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia, one of the oldest medical schools in the country. There, she was nominated to the Hobart Amory Hare Honor Society.
Dr. West then returned to Georgetown University for her residency in ophthalmology at the Washington National Eye Center. During residency, she served at Bethesda Naval Hospital where she cared for soldiers with ocular and facial injuries returning from the Iraq War. She received the William JG Davis award for Best Resident Research for her study on corneal haze after photorefractive keratectomy (PRK).
Upon graduation, Dr. West practiced general ophthalmology in the Washington, DC area for two years before pursuing a fellowship in cornea, cataract and LASIK surgery at the prestigious Weill Cornell Medical Center. Working with leaders in the field, she became skilled in the art of corneal transplant surgery and advanced cataract surgery, including the implantation of toric, multifocal and Crystalens intraocular lenses. Her training included ocular surface reconstruction with amniotic membrane and medical treatment of severe dry eye syndrome. She also received advanced training in refractive surgery (LASIK, PRK and Intacs) using state-of-the-art equipment, including VISX, wavefront, and intralase lasers.
Prior to joining OC Eye Associates, Dr. West was the regional cornea specialist for Kaiser Permanente Riverside County. She was solely responsible for the medical and surgical treatment of patients with corneal conditions in this region, extending from Corona to Palm Springs. She has performed thousands of cornea and cataract surgeries, including both full thickness and sutureless (DSAEK) corneal transplants.
Dr. West is pleased to offer the patients at OC Eye Associates her expertise in cornea, cataract and ocular surface disease. She provides each patient with individualized, comprehensive, and compassionate ophthalmic care. She believes patients should both understand their diagnosis and actively participate in the treatment process. Dr. West is available for both scheduled appointments and emergencies.
She is an active member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, the Orange County Society of Ophthalmology and the Orange County Cornea Society.
- Areas of Expertise
- Dry-eye and ocular surface disease
- Premium and complex cataract surgery
- Cornea transplantation (full thickness and DSAEK)
- Pterygium surgery (primary and recurrent)
- Diabetic eye examinations
- Glaucoma screening and treatment
- Screening for macular degeneration
- Routine eye exams (including glasses and contact lenses)
- About Dr. West
- Board certified since 2008
- Received her MD from Jefferson Medical College
- Received her BS from Georgetown University
- Completed a transitional internship at INOVA Fairfax Hospital
- Attended the Georgetown University/Washington Hospital residency program in ophthalmology
- Completed a one-year corneal surgery fellowship at Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York
- Is an active member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, the Orange County Society of Ophthalmology and the Orange County Cornea Society